Sunday, October 25, 2015

Living Deliberately


"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignations, unless it was quite necessary.  I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and spartan-like, to cut a broad swath and shove so close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms."  
-Henry David Thoreau

Just something to ponder on this lazy Sunday...Thoreau is one of my favorite writers.  I love the way he makes me reconsider things, the way his writing intertwines metaphors, and talks in a sort of out-of-context way but somehow hits so close to home.  I want to live deliberately, to suck the marrow out of life, and even on these rainy, lazy days where I don't do much of anything, it's words like these that remind me to take it all in, to make the most of everything, and to learn what the world has to teach me. 

With the change in seasons becoming more and more evident, especially in upstate New York, it's a time of reflection, a time of change... For me, I always transition the way I dress too. Of course the cold weather makes it necessary to layer up, but I always seem to go for a more raw look around this time.  It's the perfect season for comfort, for ease.  Where messy, just-rolled-out-of-bed hair tucked behind big sweaters and scarves is all you need.  Oversize everything, wind blowing in the wind, last fleeting moments before the icy winter becomes too real.  It's such a romantic time, with leaves changing, and flowers dying, summer falling far behind... I can't get over it. Here is some much needed inspiration for this lovely time of year.  Happy Sunday ya doofs! Look for our Doof Of The Week tomorrow:) 






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea

On January 10th, 2018 I attended a concert for a very talented band, Tennis.  I decided to go alone. The definition of alone is “having no ...