Monday, December 21, 2015

Doof Of The Week: Kelly Nash


                            

What are you listening to/watching/reading right now?


Lately, I've been SO into Doja Cat and Jhene Aiko...they're way different than my normal kind of music but I'm obsessed. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the Morning by the Weeknd. I could go on forever about the music I'm listening to because it's always changing and and I'm always looking for something new. Blue Foundation has recently come back into my recent listens, as well as St. South, Moguai, Flight Facilities, 'Gold' by Kiiara, and Whilk and Misky. I don't watch a lot of T.V. but when I have time I binge watch Sex and the City. I also have an obsession with watching Vegan What I ate In A Day Youtube videos, as well as Karlie Kloss' youtube channel Klossy. I also just watched Song One, and it was an incredible movie!! I read Manrepeller, The Free People Blog, and my favorite fashion blogs daily. I also constantly re-read The Alchemist, my favorite book, going through my favorite parts and learning more and more from it each time I pick it up.

Sartorial signature?

I always wear the same 3 rings, which each have individual stories about how I got them, and mean a lot to me. I'm also a HUGE fan of the black leather jacket.


Secret skill?


I can raise one eyebrow really well ;)


Idols/inspirations?


ugh, where do I begin...?! Tavi Gevinson, the Suarez Sisters, Bridgette Muller, my friend Kelly Komotos, and Petra and Anna Collins are my biggest inspirations, especially in a creative/fashion sense. But most of all, I'm inspired by my SISTERS! Obsessed with them, really. They never cease to amaze me and I can never get over that. Whenever I need inspiration, advice, someone to laugh with, or someone to go on an adventure with, they are my go-tos no matter what. Lastly, my late Grandfather is one of my biggest inspirations. I have looked up to him as an artist and person for my entire life, and every day I use his creative energy all around me to fuel my own.

What does being a DOOF mean to you?

I've spent a lot of time trying to really categorize my thoughts on being a doof, because it's really everything to me. Being a doofykook is what my life is about! But to me, being a doof is to find confidence in all your flaws and in all your weirdness. It's OWNING who you are and being unapologetic about that. At the same time, it's being open and curious to all the other doofs out there. It's about unity, acceptance, equality, and confidence.

Latest discovery?

1. The absolute amazingness of extra chunky peanut butter and medjool dates :)))) !!!!
2. The power of energy in our lives. I've recently gotten very intrigued by astrology and Reiki, and alternative ways of thinking, and energy manipulation is one of the most interesting to me. I have come to really believe that the way you present yourself, and the energy you put out into the world is the energy you will get back. It's very cool.

What's your take on feminism?

I'm a big believer in equality between the sexes as well as races, sexual orientations, and all other forms. I think that humans are amazing creatures with capabilities to do great things and I don't see the point in holding each other back. Equality needs to be present so we can reach our full potential, and I'll stand by that no matter what.

Quote or phrase to live by?

"you are not just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean in a single drop" (I say this to myself EVERY morning before I get up and it's a life-changer)

Talk about something you think is important?

I've been a vegan for over a year now and a vegetarian for almost two and a half, and animal rights as well as personal health is something I think is EXTREMELY important. I have always dealt with body-image issues, so narrowing down my options for food was always a kind of vice for me to deal with those issues, but the more I learned about the vegan lifestyle and how to really do it the right way, the more I became a firm believer that it is a lifestyle we should all be following. There are a lot of misconceptions about veganism and the people who chose to follow it, and I think what might be even more important than the diet itself, is the knowledge of it and of where your food is coming from in general. Our bodies are our temples, and for the most part, no one takes the time or effort to understand what they're putting in that temple. I'm all about educating ourselves on this topic and searching for the best possible lifestyle that pleases my body, mind, and the animals too :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea

On January 10th, 2018 I attended a concert for a very talented band, Tennis.  I decided to go alone. The definition of alone is “having no ...