Monday, November 23, 2015

Doof Of The Week: Annie Buck


Meet our amazing friend, and total doofykook, Annie Buck! She's newly seventeen, beyond smart, and a complete inspiration. Check out what she has to say...:) 

What are you listening to/reading/watching right now? 

    Currently, I am reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for school, but it is honestly one of the best books I have ever read. Mark Twain is such a realist, which I feel I can relate to, especially when I am living in a world where everything is not as optimistic as some people try to envision it to be.  Music wise, Tune- Yards are my favorite artist at the moment. I have never heard anyone like them before and I don't think I will anytime soon. Their music is so unique and can't be reproduced. 

Secret skill?

    I have tried my whole life to find some secret talent of mine, but after 17 years, am still not able to conjure one up. I can make my tongue into a clover and I know how to play several instruments, so I guess that is something. 

Sartorial signature?

    I have a ring that I wear every single day. It is a blend of gold and silver, representing the moment when the waves of the ocean and sand on the beach collide. It is from Sannibel, Florida which was my grandmother's favorite place. I am usually never seen without it. 

What does being a doof mean to you? 

    Being a doof to me means transcending all social limits and defying all social norms. Though society is something I have learned that we need, it is not something we need to confine ourselves to. Doofs are the people who realize that and draw outside the lines. 

Latest discovery? 

     i am currently enrolled in AP Physics and I feel like everyday I am making a new discovery for myself. I feel like I discovered some new scientific theory although people have really discovered them amazing theories years and years ago. I think that is what I like the most about the class is that we, as students, are given the chance to develop our own ideas and test them.
 
What's your take on feminism? 

    Feminism is the greatest movement and the most urgent one. I am currently doing a research paper on the feminist movement of the 1800s and have realized how many components of society the lack of inequality between the sexes is present. So many people don't notice because right now, people are comfortable and find that the life we live in now is normal, but it takes a certain amount of being uncomfortable for change to happen. 

Who are your idols/inspirations?

    Honestly, everyone that I know is in one way or another an idol to me. Everyone I have met has some piece of advice or is an example of the life that I want to live and that inspires me. It's the people that keep going daily even though there are so many reasons to quit that are my idols. 

Where would you like to travel and why? 

    I would love to travel to India. It is such a beautiful and foreign country to me. I am fascinated by Buddhism and Hinduism and India is rich in both of those religions. Indian food is also great :)

Quote/phrase you live by?

    I try to remind myself to live in the moment every day because honestly, right now, this very instance, is all that we have control of and as clique as it it sounds, life is so very short and I want to live it to the fullest. As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

Words of advice for millennials? 

    My advice for millennials would be to not confine themselves to any sort of expectation and to be confident in that they believe in.

Talk about something you think is important? 

    Being an adolescent, I find that the most important thing to me right now is being comfortable in my own skin and knowing that my body is beautiful. So many people lack self confidence and I breaks my heart to see people tear themselves apart over something that in the long run, won't matter at all. I actually wrote a letter to the principal discussing this issue as it pertains to sex education in the school district. 

Anything else you'd like to talk about or add? 

    I am very proud to be the doof of the week! I have loved 
watching this account evolve since the beginning - its one of my favorites!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea

On January 10th, 2018 I attended a concert for a very talented band, Tennis.  I decided to go alone. The definition of alone is “having no ...